Sunday, March 18, 2012

Boxing Matches Among the Toothless!

This is one of those TV shows that you don’t actually admit to watching. “Who’s the host nga?”  “What channel?”  “Ah yeah… it’s the new Oprah show, diba or is it... Ellen?
 
No, dah’lin… it's not the Queen of Talk. She's classy. (she may be classy but the bitch is tired... go retire with your billions, girl!).

Ellen? Not that Butch. She’s more into making people laugh (the Dike in a Nike is really funny!) and discovering You Tube talents.  

It’s “Face to Face” hosted my Amy Perez.  Yes, it’s a talk show, believe me. Wait. Is it a real talk show or a boxing match disguised as a talk show? Hmm. It's more a circus with boxers refereed by a host? (do we call them circus boxers?) Yun na yun! Tamang-tama, dahil most of the guests are toothless characters who scream at each other with high-level profanity.


Like the Jerry Springer Show who is “knowingly capitalizing on the disadvantages of his guests and the stupidity of his audience” (ranked 32 in a book called “100 People Who Are Screwing Up America”),  "Face to Face" epitomizes the so-called “trash TV talk show” that we watch with secret bliss whose core value is that “violence settles everything.”


Are we at fault here?  Are we telling television networks that we have sunk so low that we actually enjoy all those sampalan at murahan which we have enough dose of just by watching silly, daily teleseryes? That we truly delight in finding out about people who fight over the most private (“magkasama ang asawa at girlfriend sa iisang bahay”), the most sensitive (“nahuli ng video ang pagbugbog ng ama sa sariling menor edad na anak”), yes, even the most senseless (“pinukpok ng rice cooker”) things? 


Siguro nga.                 
 

I watch “Face to Face.” I like it. I admit that. I like knowing the names and stories of their guests whom I just see in my rounds of Metro Manila. Minsan, nakikilala ko sila. They do my manicure and pedicure. They give me my Thai massage, my haircut, my facial. Sila ang mga suki ko sa mga favorite stores ko sa SM. They allow me to peek into their lives. And then, like clockwork, would say sigh and say… Ang hirap talaga ng buhay.  

These people are the reason why the show is surviving. And, no doubt about it, "Face to Face" WILL survive because of them for years to come.

Game na...

No comments:

Post a Comment