Saturday, March 24, 2012

Survival of the Luckiest


I’ve been a Milk Tea drinker for a long time now. It started when I used to write for a morning show and we had the Kopi Roti (an underrated brand) people as guests. They made us try their menu items and what stuck to me was their Milk with Tea. Since then, the staff and the host of the show would troop to Kopi Roti branch in Tomas Morato and get drunk with their milk tea at eight in the morning. 
   

 

So far, there are three restaurants that serve really good milk teas:
 




OLD PENANG (Malaysian Tarik) in Resorts World;














  
 MY TAI (McKinley Hill) and











 






 SIMPLY THAI (Greenbelt 5). 
















Milk tea is currently big in Manila. Laos na ang yoghurt and only Golden Spoon and Red Mango are surviving, I think. Sad for them. To think na malaki daw ang investments dito. Well, so much for fake yoghurt (healthy and non-fattening my foot!).   


Goodbye Yoghurt/Yogurt!














Let’s move on.

Last Friday was extraordinarily warm. The heat was punishing our team who was at Music Hall in MOA for the shoot of Earth Hour 2012’s “I WILL IF YOU WILL” plug (to be shown over at the Discovery Channel).

I bought a large-sized Gong Cha milk tea. Honestly, I wasn’t actually expecting too much kasi sabi ko, para lang Quickly, Sagu, Orbits (the leaders of the Sago drink fad years back) lang yan (ang pagkaka-iba ngayon ay tea ang base, dati kasi flavored powder lang; I should know, we used to own a failed Sago store before).

I was pleasantly surprised. Gong Cha was good. Masarap siya.

That was the time I decided to try at least three more brands before going home. In Trinoma, I had Seattle Best’s Milk Tea (most expensive and what other choices do they have??), a large Chatime (Ho-hum! what was the flavor again?). Then, I bought a pack of Lipton Milk Tea sachets (Diabetes-inducing, really).  


My verdict?  I like Go Cha (except that it has too much ice... it's like Halo-halo with ice cubes).





And my promise? That I will never drink anything with that much milk ever again. I tell you, things were loose until lunchtime the following day.


No comments:

Post a Comment