Thursday, February 14, 2013

Nomama Artisanal Ramen!

Nomama Artisanal Ramen @ Sct Tuazon, Quezon City

When I hear Scout Tuazon, the first thing that comes to my mind is Max's Fried Chicken (and Edward del Cuesta studio, but that's another story). I grew up in the area. I remember that I used to spend my afternoons at Max's getting mesmerized by very colorful kois swimming around their big pond. Its different now. A lot different. 

Anyway, countless restaurants have opened in the area and one of them is Nomama Artisanal Ramen (just across Max's) which we tried last December (a good friend/chef celebrated her birthday). 

I have eaten in quite a few ramen houses and I must say that this one's not one of the best there is. Don't get me wrong. It doesn't suck big time but compared to the rest, well, its one of those left in the field eating the dust of the better ones. 

I don't remember any dish that stood out. What I actually remember was the chicken dish that was still trying to make its mind whether to be Chicken Teriyaki or Mang Inasal... or worse, both. And yes, there's the ramen. Ramen must be flavorful, no, ultra flavorful. The broth must be a balanced combination of all the ingredients (eg Nomama Ramen has pork stock, miso-sesame blend, chasu and tamago while the Wagyu Beef Cheek has braised Wagyu in milk broth, poached eggs and nori) complimenting each other with one or two flavors standing out. In my book, matabang pa sila. I really want ramen that bursts with flavor.

To be fair, I liked the Teppanyaki Vegetables and the Gyoza (but how can you go wrong with that?). And at least, the service was okay. They servers were attentive, courteous and patient. 

And what were the comments of our friend/chef/birthday girl? Well...

Wagyu Beef Cheek Ramen P420
Nomama Ramen P337
Pork Gyoza P125
Teppanyaki Vegetables P230
Tofu with Mushrooms P285





 







No comments:

Post a Comment